Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Gems of Music


I hate to admit that I conveniently forgot about this little world where I can share what I feel about music. Like most of us, I too have a day job and commitments which have vanquished my passion to play & write.

The personage within thinks in a flaccid state and reprimands that there is no place where he can pour out the feelings. I hence come back to take refuge and pour my heart out.

Being a musician, I feel it’s my duty to introduce to the world some wonderful souls who command their instrument and produce an enthralling magic which sooths ears, mind & soul alike. I‘d like to venture into the deeper parts of Maharashtra to dig out a traditional folk art form called Tamasha.

Tamasha is believed to be derived from the ancient form of Sanskrit drama - the 'Prahsana' and the 'Bhana'. This Marathi folk art form is performed by local or travelling theatre groups within Maharashtra. It has also been the subject of several Marathi films.

Here is an instrument which is used prominently but not limited to this art form. It is by far the most popular symbol of Maharashtrian Rhythm culture known as Dholki

Dholki
For the non-conversant, Dholki literally means “a small dholak”. It’s a bit narrower in diameter and uses tabla-style syahi masala on its treble skin. 

The treble skin is stitched onto an iron ring, which tenses the head before it is fitted. The bass skin often has the same made up as in ordinary dholak but sometimes they may have a kinar and pleated Gajra, as seen in tabla, to withstand the extra tension. The modern variants use nuts and bolt hardware which are easier to tighten & tune.

The rich tone of this wonderful instrument commanded by able player is capable of mesmerizing the best of skilled musicians & common man alike. 

The first video is a small Dholki solo piece. My salute to the fantastic Dholki vaadak Krishna Musale who plays the Dholki with such an ease and produces magic. 


The second video is a jugalbandi. Its lead by a man who's Dholki has mesmerized listeners in India and abroad. 

Vijay Chavan needs no introduction to the people who have seen the marathi blockbuster movie Natrang. The credits section of the movie has a Dholki duet which was played by Vijay Chavan and Krishna Musale. It is said that the audience never leaves the theater till this section is over. 

My namaskar to these wonderful musicians. May their tribe grow.



No comments:

Post a Comment